Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Fruit Salsa

Okay ladies, I kind of die over this one. My mom introduced it to me last week and we mixed a batch up. I altered a couple things, like I always do. Usually my alterations make it healthier so I am sure you can dig that.

12 oz pkg. frozen raspberries (the sweetened kind that come in a box)
12 oz pkg. frozen strawberries (the sweetened kind that come in a box)
3-4 granny smith apples diced small with skins on
4 kiwis peeled and diced small

Thaw and strain frozen berries and mix with apples and kiwi (you can save the yummy juice and mix it in some lemonade - SOOO good.)

Add:
3 T. brown sugar
3 T strawberry or raspberry preserves
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice

You could add halved blueberries or diced fresh peaches or berries too. Let sit and chill for a couple hours before serving.

Serve with these chips:

1 package of soft taco flour tortillas (usually 10-12 in a pkg) - take each tortilla and run it quickly under the faucet to wet each side, just a little wet though - not soggy (I know it sounds weird but trust me). Sprinkle a cinnamon/sugar mixture on each side so that it sticks. Place on baking sheet and use a pizza cutter or knife to cut the tortillas into triangle wedges. I found it easier just to cut them on the baking sheet so I didn't have to transport all the litle triangles. You can usually fit like four tortillas worth of chips on there.

Put tortilla triangles in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until desired crispness. CHECK THEM OFTEN AND DO NOT BURN! It is easy to do

**Sidenote - just so you know what I altered - the original recipe asked that you butter both sides of the tortilla and sprinkle with cinn/sugar and bake, which is what my mom did for us. I made them my way today without the butter and I actually thought they were better and MUCH more healthy :) I also added the lemon juice and I reduced the sugar and jam amounts because I thought it a bit too sweet.

A great thing to serve at a shower or for a luncheon. Fantastic summertime treat.

No comments: